Monday, November 21, 2011

You Won't Relent

You won't relent
Until You have it all
My heart is Yours
I'll set You as a seal upon my heart
As a seal upon my arm
For there is love that is as strong as death
Jealousy demanding as the grave
And many waters cannot quench this love

Come be the fire inside of me
Come be the flame upon my heart
Come be the fire inside of me
Until You and I are one
 
"You Won't Relent" -Misty Edwards
 
I remember when I was growing up, my mom would put songs on repeat always or we would listen to the same Brooks & Dunn cd in the car for over a month. It drove me insane! Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree because I have been listening to this song on repeat for over a week now. Each day a different section speaks to me. How do I treat Jesus? Is this what I say to God? Come be the fire inside of me, until You and I are one. Do I truly say this? If so, what does it look like?
 
Many people who know me, know that I tend to use the emotional side of my brain more than the intellectual side. I've never had the strong desire to know all the details. "It is the way it is; I feel this way about it; I can't explain it, it's just a feeling I have; God gave you a gut for a reason." These are all catch phrases that I use. I find myself in a culture that wants to know the intellectual side of God and struggle to explain it. The need is to first rationalize God intellectually and then emotions can follow if they want to. It's challenging. How do I show the emotional side and be open to learn from the intellectual side? I am commanded to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Therefore I need the intellectual AND emotional side.
 
I believe I'm going to be learning more about the need for both of these sides. God made us complex. He is complex. And He won't relent until He has all of us. This is a comfort to me and excites me for the life long journey of learning ahead of me.