Saturday, April 9, 2011

So You are Famous in the States...



A visit is an all-day affair. Marta and I will visit for hours at home or out exploring. I had lunch with a family from church and was there from 12pm until 7pm and didn’t feel the rush to leave at all! An Elder from a branch of the church told me that a Czech visit is a minimum of 3 hours and that a Czech likes to go deep on one subject. When you ask a question you need to be prepared for a long answer and the patience to wait for it….I love it! And it is definitely worth the wait. This week I made connections with the international community. I attended a women’s Bible study on Tuesday that I will be attending regularly from now on. We are doing a manuscript study of Micah. The time of fellowship and the chance to converse in my native tongue is great. A lot of the women are teachers at an international school that I may be working with at some point during my time here. If not directly, they are willing to help me with teaching material and forming connections for conversational English in the public school systems. It’s nice to have the options and support. On Monday I got caught in a downpour of rain on my way to the international school. I therefore developed a head cold that is still trying to hang on. The pollen is high here and the temperatures are fluctuating (much like PA and VA weather) so my allergies are out in full swing. Health has been a struggle for me the past two weeks as my body is adjusting to all the changes. Therefore I wasn’t able to get out and explore as much this week. The times I did go out however were precious. Some of the most random acts of kindness I have ever experienced. I was short on change for a metro ticket and a young man purchased a ticket for me. I met a woman in Wenceslas Square who speaks English and offered to go sightseeing with me on weekends anytime during this year. One of the women who work at the church office gave me an apple. Marta invited me to her friend’s home last night and even though I was really late in getting there they were nothing but kind to me. I met another woman there who is interested in conversational English and we will start meeting very soon. God is so faithful and on my days where the doubts plague me, He provides many ways of proving that there is no need for doubts. It’s come to the attention of some church members that I play guitar and sing. One of the youth came early to youth group, therefore hearing me. He asked if I was famous in America. I laughed and said, “No I’m hoping to make it big here.” I’m sure that God is going to use my musical gifting somehow here although I don’t know how that will look. It makes me grateful for the chance to grow into this gifting while at HDC. Continue to pray that I can look upon this season of bonding as a chance to rest, adjust, and nurture forming relationships. I appreciate the email updates, words of encouragement, and prayers. They always arrive when I need them the most.